Wednesday, July 20, 2005

What's up with M-R-A-Z?

Thanks to Brenden for pointing me toward VH1.com, where you can now stream the new album from Jason Mraz, Mr. A-Z.

I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but, for what its worth, I remember my reaction to Mraz' major-label debut, Waiting For My Rocket to Come, as being a mixture of excitement and frustration. Excited because Mraz is a dangerous new talent; he's got the beautiful, silky-smooth voice of a great American crooner, and he plays with it and twists his words deftly. Frustrated because, though his lyrics are often quite clever, they're also occasionally juvenile and arrogant, and, more importantly, the album's production is way too polished, cloaking the musicianship on display with a thick layer of radio-ready gloss.

It's one of those debuts that I'd file under "Not Great, but Promising," so I'll be curious to hear how this new record compares.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Brenden said...

I'm thinking I like this one better so far. A few weak lyrical moments, but quite interesting.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home