Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Fifteen Golden Greats

You film buffs have probably seen this already: The Internet Movie Database, celebrating their 15th Anniversary, has allowed each of its staff members to post a list of their fifteen favorite films from 1990-2005. The results are... kinda sad. But it is a good springboard for conversation. And, since this is a music-related blog, I thought it's be fun to take the same ground rules and apply it to great music.

So, what are your fifteen favorite albums from 1990 to the present? Which are the most artful? The most entertining? The most meaningful to you on a personal level? Here's my list of the fifteen albums-- released from 1990 to 2005-- that delight me, move me, transport me, and give me the most to think about. They excite my imagination and nourish my spirit, leading me to laughter, empathy, and prayer. All fifteen are albums that I would defend as being artful, inventive, and poetic, but, more than anything, they're the ones that I keep coming back to over and over again.

My list:

1. Joe Henry, Tiny Voices (2003)
2. Over the Rhine, Good Dog Bad Dog (1996)
3. U2, Achtung Baby (1991)
4. Bob Dylan, Love and Theft (2001)
5. Sam Phillips, A Boot and a Shoe (2004)
6. Radiohead, Kid A (2000)
7. Andrew Bird, The Mysterious Production of Eggs (2005)
8. REM, Reveal (2001)
9. Radiohead, OK Computer (1997)
10. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Abattoir Blues/ The Lyre of Orpheus (2004)
11. U2, Pop (1997)
12. Over the Rhine, Ohio (2003)
13. REM, New Adventures in Hi-Fi (1996)
14. The Innocence Mission, Birds of My Neighborhood (1996)
15. Ron Sexsmith, Retriever (2004)

So what would you pick for such a list? Where did I do wrong?

1 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

oh man, this is my life we're talking about! Age 10 to 25. Here we go. No particular order...i think...

1. PFR - Goldie's Last Day
2. Poor Old Lu - Sin
3. Sixpence - This Beautiful Mess
4. Sixpence - Self-titled
5. U2 - Achtung Baby
6. Hem - Rabbit Songs
7. Stars - Set Yourself on Fire
8. Mates of State - My Solo Project
9. Iron and Wine - The Creek Drank the Cradle
10. Radiohead - OK Computer
11. Jeff Buckley - Grace
12. Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
13. Jars of Clay - Much Afraid
14. Wonderful - God Bless Our Pad
15. ...left open in case i forgot something...

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home