Sunday, November 20, 2005

Still dizzy...

Last night I stood for two hours-- with a few thousand of my closest friends-- singing some of my all-time favorite songs at the top of my lungs.

And, I rode one of the most dizzying emotional rollercoasters of my life, cramming what felt like a year's worth of heartbreak, joy, and euphoria into just two and a half hours.

And, I basked in the presence of my four favorite musicians, being in the same room as them for the first time in my life.

And, I saw my greatest dream of the past five years finally come true.

Wow... writing that, it's almost hard to believe it's been five years. On the one hand, I can't remember a time when my musical sun didn't rise and set with U2; at the same time, though, my first experiences with the band stand out vividly in my mind. Frankly, I feel like I know Bono, The Edge, Larry Mullen, and Adam Clayton better than I know many of my relatives... even though, until last night, I never got to see them in person.

Of course, I've never doubted them... I've always had complete faith in their showmanship, in their spiritual transendence, in their passion for their music. But, if I had had any doubts... well, I wouldn't any more.

But I'm clearly rambling. Truth is, I could go on and on and on, writing for hours about my history with U2 and what their music has meant to me. And I could probably write at least a page on every one of the songs they played last night. And there are probably no words to adequately capture the ways in which the show moved me... but I'm going to try to do so tomorrow when I sit down to write a review. Until then, here's the setlist:

Main Set: City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, Elevation, I Will Follow, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Beautiful Day, Happy Birthday, Original of the Species, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Love and Peace or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday - Rock the Casbah, Bullet the Blue Sky, Miss Sarajevo, Pride, Where the Streets Have No Name, One, MLK

Encore(s): Until the End of the World, Mysterious Ways, With or Without You, The First Time (acoustic), Stuck In a Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Bad

Beautiful day, indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home