Thursday, January 05, 2006

'Tis the season, round III: Overstreet weighs in!

Here's a year-end list I've been eager to see-- Jeffrey Overstreet's Top 10 Recordings of 2005, posted at Looking Closer.

I've heard all of the albums on his list, and can safely say that they're all winners. Having said that, this is the first year in a long time when Overstreet's list and my list have diverged from one another quite a bit. Last year, our lists were almost identical; in 2003 I ranked Joe Henry's disc as my favorite while he went with Over the Rhine, but other than that the similarities were striking; and I didn't post a list in 2002 for the simple reason that Reveal didn't exist, but if I had it would doubtlessly look similar to the one at Looking Closer. This year, though, my #1 pick is #5 on his list, and his #1 is my #3; also, there are five albums in my top ten that don't chart anywhere on his.

I have no idea where I was going with that; I just thought it was an interesting observation.

Oh, and for what its worth, I think Overstreet's brief summary of Illinois is better than my full-length review. Damn!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeffrey Overstreet said...

Josh,

You covered music better than I did this year, pal. Don't sweat the differences. A year from now, if we look back, we'll both want to revise them extensively, I bet...

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home