Monday, May 15, 2006

Sufjan speaks, downplays The Avalanche

File this under "From the Mouth of Sufjan, or, Our Indie Prog-Folk Hero Speaks!" Stevens had a conversation with Pitchfork Media in which he discusses, among other things, his upcoming collection of B-sides and outtakes, The Avalanche.

What's striking about the interview is how... well, uninterested Sufjan seems in the new album. He's got very little enthusiasm for the project, and doesn't seem to think too highly of many of the songs. In fact, the whole thing makes The Avalanche seem more and more like an attempt to milk more money out of the Illinoise cash cow. Disappointing.

Pitchfork: Were there any plans to tour behind the material on The Avalanche?

Sufjan: I don't think so. I don't think it's worth touring. There's one song...

Pitchfork: You sound really, really excited about this record.

Sufjan: [Laughing] I'm excited about it, but from a technical point of view. I like some of the songs. I think there's one song I would play live, which is "The Mistress Witch From McClure". But it just sounds like another song I wrote.

3 Comments:

Anonymous bloop said...

I'll have to read the whole thing sometime. All I'm getting from this blurb is that, as a b-sides project, it's not the kind of thing anyone tours to support, really.

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Josh said...

I've listened to it.. and its a good album. A lot of the stuff that would have easily fit right in with Illinois (obviously). Nothing breath taking, but good.

But I agree with bloop, you don't tour for b-sides albums ;)

Josh

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

5:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home